Civil & Environmental Engineering
Professor, INES PhD Program Director
- Rutgers-State University of New Jersey. Ph.D., Chemical Environmental Engineering, January 1980.
- Asian Institute of Technology. M.E., Environmental Engineering, 1974.
- National Taiwan University, B.S.ChE., Chemical Engineering, 1971.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.) in Civil Engineering, North Carolina, 1983 (#11327)
- Certified Professional Hydrologist (P.H.), American Institute of Hydrology, 1987 (#671)
- Certification: ISO 14000 Awareness, 1998
- Infrastructure and Environmental Systems
- Energy and the Environment
- Disaster Research and Management
- Watershed Management and Modeling
- Wastewater and Industrial Waste management
- Wu, J.S. and Allan, C. Vegetated swales for managing stormwater runoff from secondary roads. Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE. Under Review.
- Wu, J.S., Tseng, H.K., Ferrell, J.C. and Liu, X. 2017. Transforming waste management operations to green energy initiatives: opportunities and challenges. International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy. 7(3):50-57.
- Malinowski, P.A., Stillwell, A.S., Wu, J.S. and Schwarz, P.M. 2015. Energy-water nexus: potential energy savings and implications for sustainable integrated water management in urban areas from rainwater harvesting and gray-water reuse. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. 141(12):1-10.
- Wu, J.S. and C.J. Allan. 2014. “Stormwater Characterization from Roadways with Open Graded Friction Course Surfaces.” NCDOT. 149 pp.
- Wu, J.S. and H.K. Tseng. 2014. “Energy and Economic Perspectives of Renewable Fuels.” Second International Symposium on Energy and Finance Issues. ISEFI. France.
- Wu, J.S., Tseng, H.K. and Liu, X. 2013. Affordability of electric vehicles for a sustainable transport system: an economic and environmental analysis. Energy Policy. 61:441-447.
- Meng, Z., Wu, J.S. and Allan, C. 2013. Hydrologic connectivity for highway runoff analysis at watershed scale. Chapter 2:23-30, In: Pragmatic Modeling of Urban Water Systems, Monograph 21, Edited by W. James et al. Published by CHI, Guelph, ON, Canada.
- Kaanagbara, L., Inyang, H.I., J.S. Wu and H. Hilger. 2010. Aromatic and Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Balance in Electric Transformer Oils. Fuel. 89(10):3114-3118.
- Wu, J.S. and C.J. Allan. 2010. “Unified Methodology for Site Characterization and Sampling of Highway Runoff.” Front. Environ. Sci. Engin. China. 4(1):47-58.
- Wu, J.S. and Allan, C.J. 2008. Restoring and Assessing Fecal Coliform Impairment of Crowders Creek NC EW05020, NC Division of Water Quality, NCDENR. 62 pp.
- Wu, J.S. and Allan, C.J. 2006. Evaluation and Implementation of BMPs for NCDOT’s Highway and Industrial Facilities. FHWA/NC/2006-02, NCDOT. 157 pp.
- Wu, J.S., Han, J., Annambhotla, S. and Bryan, S. 2005. Artificial Neural Networks for Forecasting Urban Watershed Runoff and Stream Flows. J. of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE. 10(3):216-222.
- Wu, J.S., Han, J. and Allan, C. 2005. Suspended Sediment Removal by Vegetative Filter Strip treating Highway Runoff. J. of Environmental Science and Health. 40:1-13.
- Wu, J.S., Langley, W. and Chao, C. 2001. Reaction Kinetics of Immobilized Cell Denitrification: I Background and Model Development. J. of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 127(8):682-688.
- Chiemchaisri, W., Wu, J.S. and Visvanathan, C. 2001. Methanotrophic Production of Extracellular Polysaccharide in Landfill Cover Soils. Water Science and Technology. 43(6):151-159.
- Wu, J.S., C.J. Allan, W. Saunders and J.B. Evett. 1998. “Characterization and Pollutant Loading Estimation for Highway Runoff.” Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 124(7):584-592. < cited by 271 as of 2014, 286 as of 2015, and 326 as of August 2017.
- Nitisoravut, S., Wu, J.S., Reasoner, D. and Chao, C. 1997. Columnar Biological Treatability of Assimilable Organic Carbon under Oligotrophic Conditions. Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 123(3):290-296.
- Wu, J.S., R. Holman and J. Dorney. 1996. Systematic Evaluation of Pollutant Removal of Urban Wet Detention Ponds. Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 122(11):983-988.