Fall Semester (August)
Application Deadline to be considered for Assistantships and Tuition Grants: February 15th
Final Application Submission: April 1st
Recommended Acceptance for International Students: April1st
Spring Semester (January)
Final Application Submission: October 1st
In addition to the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School, the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering seeks the following from applicants to the Master’s programs in Civil Engineering:
- An earned undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering for the MSCE master’s program or a closely related field for the MSE master’s program
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better (the GRE requirement is waived for: (1) current UNC Charlotte CEE undergraduate students who have earned a minimum 3.2 cumulative GPA and completed at least 75 earned credit hours and (2) applicants who have earned a minimum 3.2 cumulative GPA and graduated with a B.S. in Civil Engineering from UNC Charlotte)
- A satisfactory score from the Aptitude Portion of the GRE
- Three letters of recommendation
- An acceptable TOEFL score as required by UNC Charlotte for international students
- And any other appropriate credentials as required by the Graduate School
UNC Charlotte uses https://mygradschool.uncc.edu/ - an online application portal. The application is completed online and supporting documents are submitted electronically.
Applications of US citizens, US Permanent Residents, Asylees and Refugees are processed as domestic applications. Applications of students on, or intending to be on, temporary visa status in the USA (i.e. F-1, H-1, H-4, etc) as well as Pending Permanent Residents are processed as international applications. Applicants should follow the application instructions accordingly.
International applicants are encouraged to review the information for international applicants carefully.
- Transcripts: Upload an unofficial transcript from each institution attended in the online application. Applicants offered admission will be required to submit one official (original, certified true) copy of their transcripts (as well as official certified translations of the transcripts/mark sheets and degree certifications if the degree was earned outside the U.S.) to the Graduate School.
- GRE Score: Official GRE scores are required of all applicants. The GRE institutional code for UNC Charlotte is 5105. Do not enter a department code. Results are considered official only when sent to the Graduate School directly from the testing agency. Satisfactory exam scores are 150 or higher on the GRE Verbal, 150 or higher on the GRE Quantitative, and 3.4 or better on the GRE Analytical Writing.
- English Language Proficiency: Official TOEFL scores are required of all students whose native language is not English and who have not earned a post-secondary degree from a US institution. A minimum score of 557 (220 computer-based, 83 Internet-based) is required for admission to the university. The TOEFL institutional code for UNC Charlotte is 5105.
Note: IELTS scores are also accepted. A 6.5 overall band score is the minimum required score.
Letters of Recommendation: Applicants must provide three letters of reference, at least two of which must be from faculty members. All three must be from professionals working in the applicant’s field of interest.
Statement of Purpose: Applicants should prepare a statement of purpose which reflects their experience and objective in undertaking graduate study in the chosen field.